DCOP interface in kicker broke compatibility?

Waldo Bastian bastian at kde.org
Wed Feb 2 21:08:34 GMT 2005

On Wednesday 02 February 2005 19:15, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > On
> > the other hand, there are many scripts and tools using DCOP. Changing the
> > interface breaks those apps.
>
> changing library APIs break apps that rely on them, too.

Yes, so we try very hard not to do that.

> it's not any
> different, or worse, in that sense; the difference, however, is that
> enforcing IPC interface compat impacts application developers and puts a
> greater burden on them.

Yes, and I think that's where the burden is supposed to be. The alternative is
that the end-user has to carry the burden. I don't think that's the right
place if KDE wants to establish itself and its applications as a professional
environment.

Cheers,
Waldo
--