DCOP interface in kicker broke compatibility?

George Staikos staikos at kde.org
Wed Feb 2 14:17:47 GMT 2005

On Wednesday 02 February 2005 05:09, Adriaan de Groot wrote:
> On Wednesday 02 February 2005 02:43, George Staikos wrote:
> >    It seems to me that the DCOP interface in kicker has changed, which
> > means that my existing scripts (and pre-programmed memory for typing dcop
>
> ..
>
> > kicker kicker restart".  Given that we publish these things as public
> > API, I think we need to be keeping compatibility on them.  Anyone know
> > more about this?
>
> Lauri noticed something similar recently -- has quit() moved as well? It
> caused some consternation, and while we were able to re-discover all the
> required functionality, it was a pain in the butt.
>
> As George points out, a DCOP interface should be considered a published,
> public API for which compatibility is required to be preserved. (I remember
> KNotes' interface change, which even caused data loss in some cases with
> applications still expecting the old interface).

   I think it's important for developers to report these issues immediately
when noticed so they don't slip into releases.  Talking to the developer is
preferable if you can find out who is responsible, and mailing k-c-d is
probably second best.  Filing a bug is sub-optimal because it could easily be
ignored for quite some time.  This is a rather critical issue.

   I wonder if we could write a script to compare .kidl files between
releases.  It won't catch everything, but it might help some.

--
George Staikos
KDE Developer				http://www.kde.org/