Factoring out standard system information

Richard Moore richmoore44 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 30 20:10:18 GMT 2005

On 12/30/05, Tomasz Grobelny <grotk at poczta.onet.pl> wrote:

> What about using external libraries such as libstatgrab
> (http://www.i-scream.org/libstatgrab/)? It already supports major OSes, is
> LGPL licensed and provides decent amount of information.

This library seems decent and its platform support is good. I notice that
the CPU information functions don't seem to allow you to get information
about each CPU independently.

But what I'm curious about is whether such library should be used directly
> by
> applications or somehow wrapped up by KDE classes? This is more general
> question, not only about this libstatgrab case.

I would say it should be wrapped in a KDE API then we could replace the
backend with another one if we need to later. This would also mean that the
API would be properly integrated with our documentation etc.

Cheers

Rich.