Factoring out standard system information

Tomasz Grobelny grotk at poczta.onet.pl
Fri Dec 30 14:21:10 GMT 2005

Dnia piątek 30 grudnia 2005 03:00, Adriaan de Groot napisał:
> So would it make sense to factor this stuff out and stick it in kdelibs
> somewhere? ksysinfo or some such -- one central place to query system
> resource usage, so there's only one place reading /proc/icky/memusage or
> calling sysctlbyname("hw.memusage") or calling table() or using kvm(4).

What about using external libraries such as libstatgrab
(http://www.i-scream.org/libstatgrab/)? It already supports major OSes, is
LGPL licensed and provides decent amount of information.
But what I'm curious about is whether such library should be used directly by
applications or somehow wrapped up by KDE classes? This is more general
question, not only about this libstatgrab case.
--
Regards,
Tomasz Grobelny