Standard gettext PO format

Chusslove Illich caslav.ilic at gmx.net
Fri Dec 30 12:05:41 GMT 2005

> [: Chusslove Illich :]
> It does, I've just checked, my oversight. But it also requires that all
> languages of the requested catalog are in the same directory, as
> bindtextdomain takes only catalog name and directory name. KDE is just
> locating xx/LC_MESSAGES/catalog.mo in resource dirs.
>
> Hm, for a known catalog directory and catalog language, perhaps I could
> call bindtextdomain and setenv("LANGUAGE", xx) prior to gettext call.

I did this, and it seems to work. translate() of KCatalog now looks like
this:

QString KCatalog::translate(const char * msgid) const
{
    setenv("LANGUAGE", d->language, 1);
    bindtextdomain(d->name, d->localedir);
    return QString::fromUtf8(dgettext(d->name, msgid));
}

I have offloaded handling other variants of gettext calls to KCatalog as
well.

In klocale.cpp, I did a lot of deletions, so that translate methods of
KLocale are one-liners now. Custom plural handling is completely out.

(Patch attached.)

There are still three possible problems left using Gettext.

First, if LC_ALL is not set to some existing system locale, or set to
POSIX, or not set at all, Gettext will not provide translation. No matter
what is in LANGUAGE, or anywhere else. Bruno Haible, the maintainer of
Gettext, says this behavior is not a bug, but prescribed by POSIX.

Second, current KDE code has a feature that when KCatalog is destroyed, the
catalog file is "unloaded". Gettext has no such explicit provision. What
is the need of this unloading, is there a situation in KDE where catalogs
could just accumulate and accumulate?

Third, there is no way to tell if Gettext found a translation, or just
returned a fallback string. If the language priority is not handled by
Gettext, as I did above, than I must consider translation equal to
fallback as translation not being found (and then check next language in
queue). This might be no issue, but it is dirty and I feel uncomfortable.

--
Chusslove Illich (Часлав Илић)