platform independent kdeinit/klauncher (was KDE4's IPC)

Stefan Teleman steleman at nyc.rr.com
Thu Dec 29 13:21:43 GMT 2005

On Thursday 29 December 2005 05:41, Andras Mantia wrote:
> > Not really. Can't be used by anyone outside Qt/KDE.
>
> I don't get it. Is it meant to be used outside at all? (Yes, somehow via
> Rudy in the future).

i am the CTO of Big Corporation, Inc. i want to standardize my company's
desktop to KDE. 10000 desktops in all. i have some very complex internally
developed applications which are the money-makers in my company. KDE is very
nice, i love it, that's why i choose it, but it does not make me any money
for my business, my business makes money selling green widgets.

i have to rewrite our internal applications and integrate them into KDE, which
i am perfectly wiling to do, since KDE will be our brand new shiny standard
desktop.

my company's middleware infrastructure is standardized on CORBA. our internal
applications must be integrated into KDE, therefore i must have a way of
bridging KDE and CORBA. i am the customer, and this is a make or break
feature requirement, because our internal applications receive real time
async notifications from our worldwide sites, and these notifications may
take some further action at the receiver's end, depending on what they are.
we currently achieve this with CORBA callbacks.

how do i integrate KDE into our standardized CORBA environment ? if the answer
is that i have to spend money developing CORBA bindings to DCOP or DBUS, then
i'm sorry but i will forego KDE and look at other alternatives which have
CORBA support, or at least have a way of easily integrating CORBA bindings.
my company does not make money developing open source software. we make money
selling green widgets.

i was personally involved in a discussion like this, about KDE, 2 years ago.
the only thing i have changed is the green widgets part (this company does
not make money selling green widgets, but something else). the outcome was
that this company looked somewhere else.

good luck to me trying to bring up KDE again next year. they won't even pay
attention.

--Stefan

steleman at nyc.rr.com                          -Monty Python