Standard gettext PO format

Nicolas Goutte nicolasg at snafu.de
Thu Dec 29 13:57:10 GMT 2005

On Thursday 29 December 2005 12:44, Chusslove Illich wrote:
> >> [: Chusslove Illich :]
> >> I couldn't really implement gettext defaults; it uses those setlocale()
> >> and binddomain() calls, providing its own resolution of paths to
> >> catalogs,
> >
> > [: Nicolas Goutte :]
> > But isn't things that KDE has to do in one way or another too?
>
> The way KDE does it is somewhat different. For example there is that
> possibility that user can select more languages by priority, so that
> message doesn't immediately fall back to English if translation is not
> found in the topmost language. Priority of environment variables also
> differ.

First, the environment variables. It is perhaps the time to check if we really
need the difference. For example, is $KDE_LANG so much different than
$LANGUAGE ?

As for different languages, for what I understand $LANGUAGE behaves like this,
at least according to the man page gettext(3). Perhaps it should be seen if
in reality, it really behaves like that.

> I'll inquire on Translation-i18n about the possibility of telling Gettext
> exactly which catalog (as in .mo file) to use for next *gettext call, and
> than see if I can make something out of it.
(...)

Have a nice day!