Qt-DBUS (was: KDE4's IPC)

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Tue Dec 27 16:35:27 GMT 2005

On Tuesday 27 December 2005 17:13, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Kevin Krammer wrote:
> >> Don't take this the wrong way, but why are you bothering with the Qt3
> >> bindings at all?
> >
> >My estimation is that Qt3 will be used for applications, especially by
> > ISVs, for a least another year.
> >And based on my current knowledge about the KDE4 timeframe I think that
> > KDE3 will be the commonly deployed KDE platform for about the same
> > time.
>
> Right, but KDE3 will not use DBUS, except for two instances I know of
> (mediamanager talking to HAL and the Kopete-Skype plugin).

True, but it doesn't mean I or someone else can't for example implement a kded
modul that exposes services via D-BUS or implement a D-BUS <-> DCOP bride for
a small number of KDE services.

> >So, if I want to offer some technology for third party developers to use
> > KDE features, my options are kind of limited to:
> >
> >- using the current Qt3 D-Bus bindings (they don't even have
> > implementations for all methods they have declared)
> >
> >- using new Qt3 bindings
> >
> >- re-implementing all relevant KDE classes to not require KApplication
> > (e.g. KRun)
> >
> >- transparently creating KApplication instance (I did this before but it
> > is an artificial restriction)
> >
> >- creating external tool programs that can do the KDE communication
>
> You forgot the 6th and most obvious one:
> - use KDE libraries and DCOP

Unless you mean creating a KDE application I covered that with No 4 (dlopening
a KDE plugin)

> I don't see how writing a DBUS binding will help third-party applications
> talk to DCOP-speaking KDE3 applications.

By moving the adapter code to one or more service "daemons" without requiring
the applications to link with KDE libs.

For example current QDS code can run default viewers for files or URLs using
KRun as the KDE implementation, currently through the above mentioned
dlopening, but preferably implemented as a kded module.

The client application is shielded of any implementation details, it just
sends the filename or URL to the D-BUS service.

Cheers,
Kevin

--
Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer at gmx.at>