Qt-DBUS (was: KDE4's IPC)

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Tue Dec 27 15:14:04 GMT 2005

On Tuesday 27 December 2005 15:34, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Kevin Krammer wrote:
> >Ah, good!
> >
> >I have switched my Qt3 backport of the bindings to such a model, but I
> > haven't done the QObject adapter yet as it is a little bit more
> > complicated on Qt3
>
> Don't take this the wrong way, but why are you bothering with the Qt3
> bindings at all?

My estimation is that Qt3 will be used for applications, especially by ISVs,
for a least another year.
And based on my current knowledge about the KDE4 timeframe I think that KDE3
will be the commonly deployed KDE platform for about the same time.

So, if I want to offer some technology for third party developers to use KDE
features, my options are kind of limited to:

- using the current Qt3 D-Bus bindings (they don't even have implementations
for all methods they have declared)

- using new Qt3 bindings

- re-implementing all relevant KDE classes to not require KApplication (e.g.
KRun)

- transparently creating KApplication instance (I did this before but it is an
artificial restriction)

- creating external tool programs that can do the KDE communication

No 1 is IMHO not viable, No 2 is the one I am currently testing, No 3 is too
much work, No 4 has proven to be awkward.
Granted, No 5 would work as well, but given my experience with kabcclient it
is quite some work.

I also hope to be able to implement some of the ideas/specs the Portland
project group might come up with :)

Cheers,
Kevin

--