platform independent kdeinit/klauncher (was KDE4's IPC)

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Mon Dec 26 00:57:28 GMT 2005

Ralf Habacker wrote:
>- is for application starting dcopserver/kdeinit/klauncher really
>required or is a low level implementation located in kdecore possible ?

>- is for kioslave process creating dcopserver/kdeinit/klauncher really
>required or is a low level implementation located in kdecore possible
>(perhaps using threads) ?

In theory, both cases can be implemented as library code to be loaded by
any application. Therefore, kdeinit and klauncher would just be dedicated
applications to running those library functions.

In special, I think on Win32 we can think of making KDE_FORK_IOSLAVES be
the default. That would eliminate the need for IPC and a dedicated
klauncher. It would be even better if, instead of forking, we simply
loaded the ioslave into memory and ran it on a separate thread, but I
would not count on that.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358

5. Swa he géanhwearf tó timbran, and hwonne he cóm, lá! Unix cwæð "Hello,
World". Ǽfre ǽghwilc wæs glæd and seo woruld wæs fréo.