platform independent kdeinit/klauncher (was KDE4's IPC)

Ralf Habacker ralf.habacker at freenet.de
Mon Dec 26 00:29:23 GMT 2005

Hi all,

relating to the initial thread I like to rise a topic, which seems to me
very important for a platform independent KDE 4.

dcop/dbus provides inter process comunications between KDE applications
for messages/calls using several groups/hierachy and several call
parameter types. Among the many available functions and function groups
there are some very KDE specific ones, klauncher and kinit, which
provides a core functionality of KDE for example starting applications
and loading kioslaves and may be some other important

The recent implementation is orientated very string on the way unix and
x11 works and does not fit very well in the win32 world without
prelinking, preloading, forking and high performance unix domain sockets.
To start an application or start a kioslave there are currently three
additional applications required (dcopserver, klauncher, kdeinit) or
maybe four in the case dbus is used and dcopserver is still required.
This makes it very time and resource expensice for a standalone KDE
application like kmail, kexi, kdevelop or others.

I don't know if this problem is true for other platforms, so I'm
interested to get feedback if there are thoughts about a possible
solution for this area beside the ktoolinvocation.cpp Invoke... and
Start...  efforts for example

- is for application starting dcopserver/kdeinit/klauncher really
required or is a low level implementation located in kdecore possible ?
- is for kioslave process creating dcopserver/kdeinit/klauncher really
required or is a low level implementation located in kdecore possible
(perhaps using threads) ?

Ralf