KDE4's IPC

Stefan Teleman steleman at nyc.rr.com
Fri Dec 23 20:57:10 GMT 2005

On Friday 23 December 2005 15:35, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:

> what would be the real world applications of this benefit?

the real world benefit is that the criticism "KDE uses a proprietary IPC
mechanism which is not well understood or standardized, therefore we cannot
use/integrate KDE in our enterprise environment, because it would require too
much money being spent on training in-house developers to learn [DCOP|DBUS]
and validating if [DCOP|DBUS] match our internal deployment and security
requirements which were cast in stone by a very experienced team of in house
security experts <bla-bla-bla-corporate-speak>"  would become a moot point.

i am not saying that the argument above is valid (or that it is even that
difficult to learn DBUS or DCOP). i am suggesting that this argument will be
made, and it can, and most likely will, be used very effectively to slam the
door shut for KDE's acceptance as an enterprise desktop. once that happens,
one can spend the rest of their life demo'ing DCOP or DBUS, it will not
matter. there is a political aspect to this argument. unfortunately this is
how important technology decisions are made in large enterprise environments.

--Stefan

steleman at nyc.rr.com                          -Monty Python