KDE4's IPC

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Fri Dec 23 17:53:21 GMT 2005

Le Vendredi 23 Décembre 2005 17:38, Thiago Macieira a écrit :
> We already do.

Yes, the current situation is basically:
session<->system : DBUS
session<->session : DCOP

I guess that this situation is not ideal, but the protocols being used for
different purposes that's not a big issue.

The problem is more in a not too distant future, we might want to communicate
inside the session with non KDE apps. And that's where the real troubles will
arise.

From there the real questions are : will non KDE apps using dbus for
communication inside the session exist? is communication with them important?

Currently most dbus services available are on the system bus. But, I guess
that we'll find GNOME apps using DBUS for communication inside the session
sooner or later. We use DCOP a lot, now that they have something similar I
doubt that they won't fell in love with it. :-)
And I guess it'll be important to communicate with those applications, at
least for people mixing KDE and GNOME applications in their environment...
but of course it means that we'll have to specify common interfaces, common
IPC alone won't solve anything in this department.

Regards.
Ne font reculer l'ignorance."