XSETTINGS spec

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Mon Dec 12 13:23:22 GMT 2005

On Monday 12 December 2005 00:37, Martin Konold wrote:
> Am Montag, 12. Dezember 2005 00:11 schrieb Lubos Lunak:
> > > In addition I also don't like the fact that it is tight to X11. IMHO
> > > new cross desktop stuff shall not depend on X if there is not a very
> > > compelling reason for this. IMHO simple exchange of strings is no good
> > > reason for depending on X.
> >
> >  And the magic solution is?
>
> I have not final opinion about it but why using X at all for this? Why cant
> it be handled by some DBUS stuff?

 Because there's no "some DBUS stuff"? Can you see KWrite, OOo, Mozilla or
Gedit using DBUS? They all however use X because for running in X they
already depend on it anyway. Since the XSETTINGS API is "get setting X" and
"setting X changed", who cares what's beneath it as long as it's something
reasonable and it works?

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer