gcc flags for developers

Dirk Mueller mueller at kde.org
Fri Dec 9 11:10:05 GMT 2005

On Thursday 08 December 2005 02:02, Michael Pyne wrote:

> I'd be interested in hearing (and fixing) these "horrifying hacks".
>
> Especially since there is no code in kdesvn-build to alter the CXXFLAGS
> (they are read from the user's .kdesvn-buildrc).

Well, did you read the sample kdesvn-buildrc in the light of the recent
discussion?

it contains lines such as:

configure-flags --enable-debug=full
cxxflags -g -pipe -march=i686

Thats wrong on so many levels:

- first of all it shouldn't be cxxflags. we have C code as well

- hardcoding -march is wrong

- setting -g after --enable-debug=full is plain stupid, because it overwrites
what --enable-debug=full already did.

- Also, full is a VERY bad option, as it disables important WARNINGS.

etc etc.

--
Dirk//\