KDE 3.5.1 and 3.6

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Mon Dec 5 19:11:13 GMT 2005

On Monday 05 December 2005 19:31, Carsten Niehaus wrote:
> Am Montag, 5. Dezember 2005 19:19 schrieb Lubos Lunak:
> >  However, on the other hand, let's say I have here few KDE patches that
> > together with the font performance fixes make KDE startup take roughly
> > the same amount of time like Xfce and leave GNOME a bit behind. They'll
> > be in trunk soon, but I have this feeling some people might like to use
> > them sooner than in a year even without using SUSE packages. And I
> > wouldn't mind getting more testing for them or seeing such patches from
> > other people. What should I do with them?
>
> Well, *if* they work and are stable,

 "If" of course doesn't count. *If* I had never found a bug in my code that I
thought was stable I wouldn't have to think too long about this.

> I wouldn't mind seeing them in KDE
> 3.5.x. This is not even a 'real' feature if I understand you correctly. KDE
> is doing the same thing: It starts, only faster.

 No, it's not doing the same thing (and you made my day - do you think I just
snapped my fingers and it was suddenly faster :) ? ). One of the patches that
makes KDE (not only seem to) start faster is completely reordering the
startup sequence.

> I would agree if you'd add
> them in the 3.5-branch, but only after they are in trunk and got some
> feedback, of course.

 Which, with the current pace of trunk development and people using it, is
going to be roughly when?

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer