KDE 3.5.1 and 3.6

Nicolas Goutte nicolasg at snafu.de
Mon Dec 5 16:35:07 GMT 2005

On Monday 05 December 2005 13:14, Martijn Klingens wrote:
> On Monday 05 December 2005 13:00, Allan Sandfeld Jensen wrote:
> > Instead I think we could try and aim for a 3.9 release as an early stable
> > "works with Qt 4" point, but without all features and rewrites and
> > therefore not yet a real beta.
>
> That makes little sense. The main reason for most people to keep developing
> against KDE 3.x is the stable kdelibs API. A premature Qt 4 based release
> won't make any difference -- kdelibs4 will still remain a moving target.

KDE3 had similar conditions of birth. There too kdelibs was a moving target
and CVS had not even all services that SVN could offer (especially atomic
updates).

> What *would* help is an API freeze in kdelibs after which little or no BC
> changes are allowed until the KDE 4.0 release. Given all the library work
> that is needed we're still quite far from that though, and we don't want to
> release KDE 4 in 2007.

It is difficult ot ask at the same time for stabilitiy and for a release in
late 2006. Both cannot be achieved. (In one month, we have already 2006!)

Have a nice day!