KDE/kdebase/pics/wallpapers

Scott Wheeler wheeler at kde.org
Tue Aug 30 22:13:47 BST 2005

On Tuesday 30 August 2005 22:03, Andy Fawcett wrote:

> There was some discussion (but no consensus) about removal of some
> graphics on the kde-devel list, Subject: KDE Kleanup, but as far as I
> can see that just referred to tiles.
>
> However, my comment in that thread about
>
> "One thing to consider is that some people may be using some of these
> tiles for their desktop background. It would be a shame to surprise
> them by removing them, so maybe they can be moved to a different module
> (maybe even a new one) so they can still be distributed."
>
> is still valid in the context of today's commits.
>
> So, within 8 minutes of the file being removed, the change has already
> annoyed one user (Lukáš). How many more are going to be extremely
> annoyed by this change?

Well, I think a cleanup is in order, but (a) it should be more comprehensive
and (b) should be decided on the kde-artists list and (c) should probably
only happen in trunk (i.e. 4.0) to avoid breaking current configurations.

That said, all of the SVG wallpapers seem to have been added since 3.4 and I
wouldn't mind a review of those from the artwork team.  Most of them honestly
don't seem up to the quality of non-SVG wallpapers that we would allow in now
and seem more like, "Hey, look, we can do SVG!!!"  (But just my opinion --
again, I'd prefer to leave this up to the artwork team.)

-Scott

relations, for nature cannot be fooled.
--Richard Feynman