Reorganizing the KDE organization (Re: Redefining kdelibs and kdebase)

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Aug 30 10:47:14 BST 2005

On Monday 29 August 2005 10:36, Cristian Tibirna wrote:
> > 	- triage defect reports
> > 	- manage community input (patches, primarily) to keep things moving
> > forward in a non-chaotic method
> > 	- keep up with the state of the art outside of KDE (e.g. if you are
> > doing KWebService you need to be aware of what's happening with SOAP,
> > AJAX, etc)
>
> And why doesn't it happen now (and will never happen, IMHO, save special --
> specified ahead -- conditions are met) ?
>
> Because imposing strict responsabilities and defined workload requires
> compensation.

there's a difference between pointing fingers at each other and saying "hey
you! maintain your software!" and taking responsibility for it as a
community. i think you are dead on when you say that it's a cultural change.
to support this process we do need people committed to making it happen, and
they need to be supported by a community for whom maintainence is a core part
of our belief system.

if we say "but it's not possible to have our libs maintained" then why bother?
instead, let's start with the postulate that it is possible and then work
towards that goal. "if you say you can't, you are right. if you say you can,
you are also right."

so ... we need people to support this process, and that's why we must have a
technical committee that helps steward kdelibs. we can and will be creating
this.

--
Aaron J. Seigo