Redefining kdelibs and kdebase

Christoph Cullmann cullmann at babylon2k.de
Sun Aug 28 21:07:59 BST 2005

On Sunday 28 August 2005 21:57, Simon Hausmann wrote:
> How is a extra custom widget in a file dialog a distinguishing feature?
> In fact it's the other way around: By defining interfaces for file/print
> dialogs for example using dbus you get /more/ applications, applications
> beyond KDE using /our/ wonderful file dialog, our kdeprint system.
>
> This is not about restricting our apps, it's about opening up our platform
> to embrace more applications.
If you look up at the design I propose (or perhaps that's the same as the
Troll's one as even Harry says that description in the original "Redefin.."
mail was missleading) you can have all this you want without the above hassle
and without the hassle for kde apps your approach would carry on.

If you take the road of an interface we provide above kdelibs/gnome/... for
QT/ISV's, kdelibs can still be done like atm (beside the other plans for kde
4) and we have all you want. Why should kde apps change their codebase just
to allow some interface to the outside if we can put that on top of our stuff
and out of the chain normal kde apps use?

cu
Christoph