Redefining kdelibs and kdebase

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Sun Aug 28 13:28:36 BST 2005

On Saturday 27 August 2005 11:30, Simon Hausmann wrote:
> On Saturday 27 August 2005 11:35, Andras Mantia wrote:
> > > applications that are included with this package.  Your average
> > > application shouldn't have dependancies to KDE desktop unless they
> > > are a component such as a screen-saver or panel applet.  Once
> > > libraries such as KIO are portable then they should be moved into
> > > frameworks.
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > > -KDEPrint
> > > -KFileDialog
> >
> > Will be hard to not depend on KFileDialog (and KDEPrint), no?
>
> The idea is to run the file dialog, print dialog, etc. out of process. 'Our'
> implementation of the file dialog can reside in KDE workspace and all that is
> in KDE framework is an interface to launch the dialog.

Hmmm.... re. printing there is not *the* print dialog. KDEPrint provides
the option to individual apps to add customizations to the kprinter dialog,
which may add more features to the printing.

For examples look at and compare what the print dialogs of kate, konqueror
and kcron look like (click "Options >>" to expand the simpler dialog mode).

Wouldnt these additional, application-specific features be lost by implementing
your proposal?

Cheers,
Kurt