Redefining kdelibs and kdebase

David Johnson david at usermode.org
Sun Aug 28 02:07:26 BST 2005

On Saturday 27 August 2005 05:41 pm, Michael Pyne wrote:

> If we want KDE programs to use KDE's file dialog under KDE, and have
> the same binary use GNOME's while under GNOME, then it probably needs
> to be out-of-process, because otherwise a program would have to link
> against both, which would make GNOME a compile-time dependency on
> KDE, and perhaps you can see why we'd like to avoid that. ;)

So someone will be taking the GNOME file dialog out-of-process as well?
I'm not a GNOME user, so maybe it already is. But if it isn't, how do
we convince GNOME to do it for us?

Sorry for being dense, but I still can't figure out why out-of-process
is necessary unless we expect the desktop to be changing out from
underneath a running application. If it's not, then why not just use a
plugin at load time?

At a much more basic level, what is the need to make the desktop the
owner of the file dialog instead of the application? As someone else
remarked, the Windows file dialog is a step down from KDE's.

--
David Johnson