Redefining kdelibs and kdebase

Michael Pyne pynm0001 at comcast.net
Sun Aug 28 01:41:15 BST 2005

On Saturday 27 August 2005 20:30, David Johnson wrote:
> Is there any particular reason why Qt's method of wrapping QFileDialog
> around the native file dialog is inadequate? Maybe things have changed
> in Qt4, but aren't the win32 and Aqua file dialogs in-process? It seems
> to me that wrapping KFileDialog around the native Win32, Aqua, GTK+,
> etc, dialogs is much simpler. If KDE is the native desktop, then we run
> our own dialog.

> Or is there some reason to move the file dialogs out-of-process that I
> am not aware of?

The problem is that Qt can do this at compile-time, using #ifdef or the like.

If we want KDE programs to use KDE's file dialog under KDE, and have the same
binary use GNOME's while under GNOME, then it probably needs to be
out-of-process, because otherwise a program would have to link against both,
which would make GNOME a compile-time dependency on KDE, and perhaps you can
see why we'd like to avoid that. ;)

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne