Redefining kdelibs and kdebase

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Sat Aug 27 11:36:49 BST 2005

Simon Hausmann wrote:
>> Will be hard to not depend on KFileDialog (and KDEPrint), no?
>
>The idea is to run the file dialog, print dialog, etc. out of process.
> 'Our' implementation of the file dialog can reside in KDE workspace and
> all that is in KDE framework is an interface to launch the dialog. On
> Unix under KDE it could just do a dbus call to kded and fire up the
> out-of-process file dialog. When running the KDE app under GNOME it
> could use the same dbus interface to fire up the GNOME dialog. Under
> Windows it'd do it like Qt: Use the windows dialog.

Those kind of "workspace" things that we need to use, like the file
dialog, would be loaded as plugins or through kdeinit (just like we do
with kioslaves now). There would be advantages to either way as well as
disadvantages -- SELinux comes to mind.

The idea would be that the applications do not depend *directly* on kfile:
they just use an interface that is portable and is used to get the file.

I just hope we make it possible to replace the appalling WIndows file
dialog with our own...
    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358

2. Tó cennan his weorc gearu, ymbe se circolwyrde, wearð se cægbord and se
leohtspeccabord, and þa mýs cómon lator. On þone dæg, he hine reste.