Redefining kdelibs and kdebase

Simon Hausmann hausmann at kde.org
Sat Aug 27 11:30:56 BST 2005

On Saturday 27 August 2005 11:35, Andras Mantia wrote:
> > applications that are included with this package.  Your average
> > application shouldn't have dependancies to KDE desktop unless they
> > are a component such as a screen-saver or panel applet.  Once
> > libraries such as KIO are portable then they should be moved into
> > frameworks.
>
> [...]
>
> > -KDEPrint
> > -KFileDialog
>
> Will be hard to not depend on KFileDialog (and KDEPrint), no?

The idea is to run the file dialog, print dialog, etc. out of process. 'Our'
implementation of the file dialog can reside in KDE workspace and all that is
in KDE framework is an interface to launch the dialog. On Unix under KDE it
could just do a dbus call to kded and fire up the out-of-process file dialog.
When running the KDE app under GNOME it could use the same dbus interface to
fire up the GNOME dialog. Under Windows it'd do it like Qt: Use the windows
dialog.

Simon