Kanagram now in kdereview

Joshua Keel joshuakeel at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 05:01:05 BST 2005

On 8/24/05, Michael Pyne <pynm0001 at comcast.net> wrote:
> On Monday 22 August 2005 10:00, Joshua Keel wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have just moved Kanagram, a replacement for KMessedWords into
> > kdereview. Please check it out, let me know what you think, and help
> > me fix bugs. :)
> >
> > We only have a few more days for new features, so please test as soon
> > as possible.
>
> My personal review:
>
> It works fine, builds fine.  I like how it has an "I give up" feature. :)

I would never win without that feature. ;)

> It's not immediately apparent what the two buttons in the upper right do, a
>
> tooltip of some sort would be nice (like the "About Kanagram" button).
> Also,
> the Quit button is obvious to me, but would it be obvious to the target
> audience?  It may not matter as the handy dandy "X" button in the corner
> still works.  I don't have children though, I may be overthinking that.

I think you're right about this. All the buttons probably should have
"tooltips." The appropriate place is probably in the file folder used
for the Help rollovers.

> In the configuration, Vocabularies section:  I think the ListView would look
>
> nicer if the second column extended to take up all remaining space.  It's
> the
> ResizeMode property, LastColumn makes the last column take up all remaining
>
> space.

Fixed.

> There are sounds for practically everything except for a wrong guess.  Is
> this
> on purpose?

There are sounds for a right guess, a wrong guess, and a new word. Are
you sure you're not hearing the wrong guess sound?

> Also, when the input line edit is empty, the Up Arrow thingy that enters the
>
> guess should be disabled.

This has been mentioned before. I sorta dismissed it then, since I
didn't consider it a big deal. Why is this an issue?

> BTW, I agree that this is a compelling replacement for KMessedWords.  But I
>
> think a two day sojourn in kdereview is asking a little much.  I would
> suggest breaking feature freeze for kdeedu (but not for Kanagram!) so that
> it
> can still make KDE 3.5, but why bother even putting it in kdereview if it's
>
> not going to be there at least a week?

I totally agree with what everyone has been saying about kdereview.
Kanagram needs to be thoroughly tested, and if two weeks is the
appropriate time, so be it. I just hope the release coordinator(s) are
gracious.

> Good job though, I think this should land for 3.5 (especially since it will
> be
> the last 3.x release).

Thanks. Danny and I have worked hard on this project, and appreciate
everyone's help and input.

Joshua Keel