kde-games package removal proposal

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Tue Aug 23 01:07:01 BST 2005

On Monday 22 August 2005 17:56, Leo Savernik wrote:
> Am Montag, 22. August 2005 17:12 schrieb tnagyemail-ml at yahoo.fr:
> > I am all for removing ksmiletris too, but perhaps you
> > are willing to maintain the app (fix the copyright
> > headers, use kzoomwindow, use kexthighscores, share
> > code with libksirtet like some other kdegames, and
> > provide graphics that do not draw a sharp contrast
> > with other apps), in this case it would be a good idea
> > to leave it where it is for you ?
>
> As I said in another thread, games don't need to be maintained.
> They're not mission-critical, and if they have bugs, people simply
> won't play them.

Au contraire. Friends of mine are extremely pissed off because the
network functionality of ksirtet doesn't work. Each time a new version
of KDE was released they tried again with the same result. I guess I
don't have to explain that this doesn't put KDE in the best light. In
fact, in my opinion unmaintained applications with functionality-
crippling bugs hurt KDE. If nobody wants to fix those bugs then those
broken applications should be removed. Alternatively, someone could
simply remove the non-functional network code from ksirtet. This would
at least prevent more people from being disappointed about a
non-working feature.

Note, that I don't no anything about ksmiletris or ksame or klickety,
and thus I don't know whether my above remarks apply to those apps.

Regards,
Ingo