kde-games package removal proposal

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Mon Aug 22 18:50:08 BST 2005

Leo Savernik wrote:
>Then let's set the entrance barrier higher for *future* applications.
> Removing those that have already found their way into KDE will break
> KDE for all people who have grown accustomed to those.

It already is. Maybe you want it higher, I don't know.

All new applications are now developed in playground (or elsewhere), but
must undergo a mandatory period in kdereview where translators start
working, documentation is written, UI is checked and the build is fixed
for everyone. An example for that is kgeography: I tested it as soon as
it made to kdereview, and provided a report on how I thought the i18n was
broken.

My kdereview build generally goes flawless, and I can't say the same for
some extragear modules.

For KDE4, I think we have to rethink all our modules, including extragear.
The threads here in the past month have shown people have very diverging
opinions, but a consensus is that our system is showing its age.

I'd also like to point out that this discussion should not happen before
the next build system is settled on. There are some requirements for it
I'd like to see addressed that could greatly alleviate the packaging
issue.

And finally, my take on this is to *not* touch kdegames right now. Those
applications either have no users, or those users don't find big
problems: I don't remember any recent bug activity on them.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358

2. Tó cennan his weorc gearu, ymbe se circolwyrde, wearð se cægbord and se
leohtspeccabord, and þa mýs cómon lator. On þone dæg, he hine reste.