Mysql as Fedora Core RPM dependency

Jaroslaw Staniek js at iidea.pl
Sun Aug 21 13:36:13 BST 2005

Thomas Zander said the following, On 2005-08-21 10:26:
> On Saturday 20 August 2005 22:48, Jaroslaw Staniek wrote:
>
>>>Naturally the best fix is to remove the dependency and make it a
>>>compile-time dependency only.
>>
>>This is exactly packagers' work to properly spitting the stuff as we're
>>assuming. This (and every other database client dependency) is
>>compile-time dependency only, even less: it's optional (only a warning
>>is issued if a client library is not provided).
>

> ehm; it seems you are not aware of how else this can be done, then.
> You can detect if a library (like the mysql one) is installed at runtime
> and not use the database when not installed.
>
> This is very different to your approach and allows you to have a fully
> installed kexi (no splitting by distributors needed).  As soon as mysql
> is installed separately kexi will be able to use it.
> Please ask on #kde-devel for example on how this works.

Do you think about using libltdl, to try to load db client libraries first?
I knew this hack but:
-what about mysql (and other engines) client versions
-what about library search paths (portability issues?)

Could somebody give me some hints - is checking for libltdl commonly used in
KDE and where?
I only looked at http://lxr.kde.org/ident?i=lt_dlopen , especially here
http://lxr.kde.org/source/KDE/kdelibs/kio/kio/kimageio.cpp#114

--
regards / pozdrawiam,
  Jaroslaw Staniek / OpenOffice Polska / Kexi Team