Menu Reorganization Part II: Development/, Editors/, Toys/

Christian Esken esken at kde.org
Sun Aug 14 21:33:57 BST 2005

--- Answering the first mail -----------------------------
Stephan Binner wrote:
> my intentions for the next step of evil plan to clean up KDE 3.5 menu:
>
>  - Move toplevel Toys/ into Games/

Or the other way round? Is a Game is more likely a Toy, or a Toy more likely a Game?

>  - Move toplevel Editors/ into Utilities/

Probably. But I'd rather have this "Editor" menu wiped out completly  (The 3 Editors + KWord thing has been discussed often enough, so I won't repeat this here).

--- Answering the second mail -----------------------------

Am Sonntag, 14. August 2005 21:25 schrieb Heinrich Wendel:
> I propose to structure the whole KMenu in a two level way.
>
> We should take a look at the big distirbutions, e.g. SUSE or Mandrake, they
> all have a sane structure. I once did a two level structure for gentoo[1]. So
> why not adopt one of them, or at least take suggestions from them?

The general two-level approach is tempting. But doing a general suitable menu structure is nearly impossible. It's either nested too deep or too cluttered (see the "Other Applications" submenus with 10-20 entries).

For example on my box (SuSE9.1), most level-2 menus only have one or two entries, e.g.  (freehand translation from german to english):
  Office -> Presentation -> OpenOffice
  Internet -> Web-Browser -> Opera
  Applications -> Calclulator -> X-Calc

Thus I'd rather discuss step by step.