Replacement for KFax

Wilfried Huss Wilfried.Huss at gmx.at
Fri Aug 12 09:31:22 BST 2005

Am Friday, 12. August 2005 09:54 schrieb Scott Wheeler:
> On Friday 12 August 2005 9:13, Wilfried Huss wrote:
> > >
> > > assuming that kfax really is generally unmaintained / not actively worked
> > > on i'd be all for this.
> >
> > Helge Deller was the last one, who did any work on KFax. And he approached
> > us about the fax-plugin, and wrote the fax loading code for us. But I'm not
> > sure if he is currently around, to comment on this.
>
> He's generally around in the sense that he's not out of the community or
> something, but he's not specifically around for the next few weeks as he's
> just moved into his first real house and is really busy and doesn't have home
> internet yet.
>
> But based on discussions with him in the past (we work together) I know that
> he was eventually pushing for having KFax replaced by one of the more generic
> mechanisms; whether or not he thinks it's already time for that I don't know.

When I talked to him the last time, he wanted also to have rotation support before
would kick KFax out. We wanted to have this for KDE 3.5 because it would be
also nice for the DjVu plugin, but it is a bit more complicated for us because also
hyperlinks and text selections have to work when the view is rotated. For this
to happen the feature freeze kicked in to bit too soon.

But in its current state KFax is nearly unusable, you can get it to crash by just clicking
on a few menuitems, it cannot print more then a few pages of a longer document,
and it destroyed one of my files a few days ago.

If we don't remove it now, we have to wait until KDE 4, and this is a long time if
noone is fixing these quite severe bugs.

Greetings,
Wilfried.