Replacement for KFax

Wilfried Huss Wilfried.Huss at gmx.at
Fri Aug 12 08:13:35 BST 2005

Am Thursday, 11. August 2005 23:36 schrieb Aaron J. Seigo:
> On Tuesday 09 August 2005 06:27, Wilfried Huss wrote:
> > I know this is a little late for KDE 3.5, but would it be ok to remove
> > KFax. KViewShell (also in the kdegraphics module) has now the
> > ability to open FAX-files, and I think it would be a good replacement.
>
> assuming that kfax really is generally unmaintained / not actively worked on
> i'd be all for this.

Helge Deller was the last one, who did any work on KFax. And he approached
us about the fax-plugin, and wrote the fax loading code for us. But I'm not
sure if he is currently around, to comment on this.

> kfax doesn't seem to be all that sophisticated, it's just a viewer, and kviewshell
> certainly has more features and 2 active developers to boot.
>
> what sort of user documentation will be provided for kviewshell for those
> wishing to work with faxes?

Currently there is no handbook for kviewshell itself, because until KDE 3.4 it was
only used as the frontend of KDVI, which has its own handbook. And I'm not
sure if I manage to write one until the message freeze. On the other hand KFax
doesn't have a handbook either, so the situation would at least not become worse.

> that's really about all i can see being at issue
> here ... though perhaps i've missed something

Should I provide a wrapper binary also called kfax, or is it ok that there would
be a program with a different name to load faxes?

I'll wait a few days before I do something, maybe someone will claim ownership
for kfax.

Is there still something like kdeblackhole in SVN? How do I remove code from
SVN?

Greetings,
Wilfried.