Proposal: Virtual Folders with IOSlaves and Their Usage

S.Çağlar Onur caglar at uludag.org.tr
Fri Aug 12 00:04:16 BST 2005

Hi;

Seems like writing proposals a little bit popular here :) so i'm writing
one also :P

I think ( at least for me ), the most important types of datas are
Pictures, Musics, Movies and Documents. And i'm organizing my directory
structure to access them easily.

For example, while $HOME/Pictures hold my digital pictures, $HOME/Musics
holds my ogg archieve.

Suppose KDE has 4 IOSlaves for these types ( like pictures:/, musics:/,
documents:/, movies:/ ) and Konqueror has ability to set any folder's
metadata as a destination of these IOSlaves.

Scenario is something like this; With konqueror select a folder, right
click on it, select "mark this folder for Musics files", then select
another and select "mark this for a Pictures files". So user can
associate a folders with an IOslave.

So what is this used for, first of all it can be used for indexing tools
(index my ogg's, index my pictures etc.)

Amarok can use musics:/ ioslave to find and play digital media.

Digikam and krite can use pictures:/ ioslave to save or edit pictures.

Kaffeine can use movies:/ ioslave to create a playlist, play a movie.

KOffice can use documents:/ ioslave to save/edit or open a document.

and many more can come...

Of course all of that can made without these ioslaves/virtual folders
concept but it seems organized and usefull to me.

Comments please?

Yours
--
S.Çağlar Onur <caglar at uludag.org.tr>
http://cekirdek.uludag.org.tr/~caglar/

Linux is like living in a teepee. No Windows, no Gates and an Apache in house!