Office/ and Utilities/ menu reorganization

Hans Meine hans_meine at gmx.net
Tue Aug 9 15:32:53 BST 2005

On Tuesday 09 August 2005 16:10, Maks Orlovich wrote:
> > editor! What's the chance of me wanting to have that installed? Or take
> > kcolorchooser. I'm sure it's a nice tool for a web developer, but for 95%
> > of the people it just clutters the start menu, and who actually has a use
> > for kruler?
>
> Actually, kruler is quite useful for things like style development, khtml
> development, etc.. And I'd never /know/ such a thing existed if it didn't
> ship with kdegraphics, and many distributions would probably say the same
> thing you did and not ship it. Similarly, kcolorchooser is also often of
> those little things that people might not look for, but which are extremely
> useful in some circumstances.

I must second that.  After initially thinking "OK, nice, but who needs a
screen ruler?" I repeatedly found myself using it for various purposes.
(Often I want to compare sizes on screen / displayed photos or sth. like
that.)

kcolorchooser I use even more often.  It's a handy little tool for.. choosing
colors!  E.g. you want to enter R,G,B values into a webform, or in a non-KDE
app, where the color widget is less comfortable, or you're
programming/scripting in your favourite language and want some part of your
program display a color that's a little more brownish than now, or the same
color that sth. on the screen has (i.e. you can use the picker).
It's a very powerful tool for a common task IMO.

These are really two little gems that I'd propose to be more user-visible than
e.g. x{clock,clipboard,grabsc,mag,kill}, oclock, or any terminal app.

Greetings,
   Hans