Office/ and Utilities/ menu reorganization

Maks Orlovich maksim at cs.cornell.edu
Tue Aug 9 15:10:35 BST 2005

> Let's face it, what we're talking about is abandonware. If there is a
> maintainer for an app, all this is a non-issue, because someone is actively
> taking care of it. It's not like applications get fixed magically if they
> happen to be inside a module. Someone is doing it.

Actually, they often get fixed by a KDE contributor /exactly/ because they're
an official part of KDE. For example, I've fixed quite some kiconedit and
kbattleship bugs in the past, and I don't have any relation to the apps.
And kdegames in particular often gets quite a bit of bugfixing by people who
are not maintainers.

> Let's say I just want kuickshow. With the current suse packaging, I have no
> chance to install it alone, its packaged together with kiconedit,
> kolourpaint and kview. The module itself even contains a provray model

Eh, and so what? Disk space is cheap. The only thing that's a downside is
security updates, but there are ways of addressing that that are not
workarounds.

<snip>
> editor! What's the chance of me wanting to have that installed? Or take
> kcolorchooser. I'm sure it's a nice tool for a web developer, but for 95%
> of the people it just clutters the start menu, and who actually has a use
> for kruler?

Actually, kruler is quite useful for things like style development, khtml
development, etc.. And I'd never /know/ such a thing existed if it didn't
ship with kdegraphics, and many distributions would probably say the same
thing you did and not ship it. Similarly, kcolorchooser is also often of
those little things that people might not look for, but which are extremely
useful in some circumstances. (I think kiconedit can probably go away since
kolourpaint is more powerful now, I think, but I think someone considered
doing something to it)

In any way, I am going quite against the grain here when I say that I think
what you're suggesting (and what packages are doing) is a grave mistake. I
believe the current KDE package structure is a big strength, as it makes it
easy to have a desktop that has all the functionality a person will likely
ever need (and yes, I think k3b ought to be in kdemultimedia), so the people
can /work/ and not play update-the-package or find-the-app.

-Maks