Office/ and Utilities/ menu reorganization

Lauri Watts lauri at kde.org
Tue Aug 9 11:02:07 BST 2005

On Monday 08 August 2005 22.27, Gábor Lehel wrote:
> On 8/8/05, Michael Nottebrock <lofi at freebsd.org> wrote:
> > I'm also of the (very much subjective, admittedly) opinion that kdegames
> > and kdeedu are probably eating away a good deal of developer resources
> > (especially in the translation, documentation and art department) while
> > they don't add much to KDE as a whole - and that they are
> > disproportionally large. Sure, they make KDE the leading desktop
> > environment when it comes to the number of games and educational software
> > included by default, but I'm not convinced that KDE gains terribly much
> > of an advantage over its competitors through that.
>
> None (or at least, very, very few) of these people are getting paid
> for the work they do, they do it because they want to -- I don't think
> you're proposing to pay them to do something else. I mean, it might be
> fun and all to pretend "if I were $DEITY with telepathic
> mind-controlling powers, I would force these people to do X more
> useful things instead", but you can't seriously be thinking like that.

I'd just like to point out that I'm not aware of anyone paying Michael for the
truly astounding amount of hours he puts into KDE and FreeBSD, the many many
bugs he fixes (quite transparently to many of you, because Ade or me, or
Frerich or someone else commit his fixes upstream (ie, into KDE)

> I agree for the most part with your other points/ideas, though I admit
> to never having packaged an application (whether source or binary), so
> I don't know how people doing that would be affected... but otherwise,

That's why we're telling you how we're affected, since Michael and I are both
actually involved in packaging, not just talking out our butts.

> it's a fact that a great many distributions package KDE's applications
> in the same monolithic svn modules / tarballs they came in (whether
> because they are lazy, it is difficult to split them out, or both),
> and that this does not contribute positively to KDE's image. Whether
> it's worth it to try and fix that problem 'upstream', I'm not the
> person to judge.

And again.  That's us, Me and Michael (you know, the guy you're replying to?)
We *do* package the tarballs as is whenever we possibly can, since splitting
them is a huge pain, and hey, did you notice me mention nobody is paying us?

Go go gadget bikeshed thread. [1]

Regards,
--
Lauri Watts