Office/ and Utilities/ menu reorganization

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Mon Aug 8 19:15:40 BST 2005

On Monday 08 August 2005 20:56, Matthias Welwarsky wrote:
> On Monday 08 August 2005 18:34, Andras Mantia wrote:
> > On Monday 08 August 2005 18:06, Matthias Welwarsky wrote:
> > > If applications are less important or immature they should not be
> > > shipped by default. Just release them separately.
> >
> > That's not a real solution for the "less important" applications.
>
> Depends on how you define "less important".

Right,

> Yes. It's pure developer convenience. So for whom do we make KDE now,
> again?
But who creates KDE in first place? The KDE svn modules should help the
developers...

> > And of course which is not so important for 80% of the users might
> > be very important for the rest.
>
> That's why KDE is usually perceived as being "cluttered". Really, we
> need to find a better criterium for "releasing an application with
> KDE" than just "it might be useful for a few users".

This is the same what you wrote: "depends on how you define "less
important". Who will decide that an application is not that important?
This is not much different than getting rid of "not so important"
features.

> Next I'll hear that we just provide the source and packaging is a
> distributor task and that svn modules don't have anything to do with
> packaging and yadda yadda.
Right, you will hear it.

> most-deployed KDE implementations. And I still have to install all of
> kdeutils, with irkick, kdessh, kdf, kfloppy, kgpg and kwikdisk (my PC
> doesn't even have a floppy, let alone an IR receiver!) when all I
> want is ark and kcalc!
That is really a problem of SUSE. (I use SUSE as well, but I myself
don't mind having everything installed, especially as I use KDE
trunk...)

> At this point you usually get flamed over your choice of linux
> distribution: "Why don't you use kubuntu, gentoo, debian,
> <something>, suse is such a crap anyway". I don't want to switch
> distributions just to have a sane KDE installation.
Don't switch, but request SUSE to package them in an other way.

Andras