Office/ and Utilities/ menu reorganization

Stephan Binner binner at kde.org
Sun Aug 7 19:08:54 BST 2005

Hello,

KDE releases include too many and non-important, or duplicate, or not best-
of-its-kind applications. Maybe we can have a BOF at Akademy about criteria
what to ship and how in KDE 4. Now only about changing menu layout of 3.5:

I want to introduce a "More Applications/" sub-menu to the KOffice/ menu
which will contain the less important/mature KOffice applications:

Office/
  Office Suite (KOffice Workspace)
  Personal Information Manager (Kontact)
  Word Processing (KWord)
  Spreadsheets (KSpread)
  Slide Presentations (KPresenter)
  Address Manager (KAddressbook)
  Database Creator (Kexi)
  Flowchart & Diagram Editing (Kivio)
  Painting and Image Edition Application (Krita)
  Personal Organizer (KOrganizer)
  More Applications/
    Chart (KChart)
    Form Designer (KFormDesigner)
    Formula Editor (KFormula)
    Related Words (KThesaurus)
    Report Generator (Kugar)
    Report Template (Kugar Designer)
    Scalable Graphics (Karbon 14)

And I plan to clean up the complete mess under the menu item "Utilities/" by
creating sub-categories like we have for "Edutainment/" and "Games/" already:

  Form Designer (KFormDesigner)     -> Office/More Applications
  Link Checker (KLinkStatus)        -> Internet/More Applications
  Online Dictionary (KDict)         -> Internet/More Applications

Utilities/
  Accessibility/
    Automatic Mouse Click (KMouseTool)
    Speech Synthesizer Frondend (KMouth)
    Text-to-Speech Frontend (KSayIt)
    Text-to-Speed Manager (kttsmgr)
  Desktop/
    Clipboard Tool (Klipper)
    Desktop Pager (KPager)
    Desktop Widgets (SuperKaramba)
    Popup Notes (KNotes)
    Scientific Calculator (KCalc)
    Useful Tips (KTip)
  File/
    Archiving Tool (Ark)
    Binary Editor (KHexEdit)
    PalmDOC Converter (KPalmDOC)
    Search & Replace Tool (KFileReplace)
  Misc/
    Character Selector (KCharSelect)
    Countdown Launcher (KTimer)
    Font Viewer (KFontView)
    Regular Expression Editor (KRegExpEditor)
  Peripherals/
    Fax Utility (Kdeprintfax)
    KDE LIRC Server (IRKick)
    Print Jobs (KJobViewer)