Using kdepim trunk from a different prefix than the rest of kde (3.4)

Reinhold Kainhofer reinhold at kainhofer.com
Fri Aug 5 11:27:11 BST 2005

Martijn Klingens wrote:
> On Wednesday 03 August 2005 18:25, Reinhold Kainhofer wrote:
>> I'm really lost here...
>> And it's really hard to work and debug properly when e.g. korganizer
>> tries to start kmail (for the imap resource) and starts the wrong
>> /usr/bin/kmail (which crashes, because it tries to load the bic librarys
>> from /usr/opt/kdepim_HEAD)...
>
> Since a Konsole gives the proper environment you might be able to track
> down the trouble maker by trying to restart kdeinit and see if that helps.

Unfortunately none of them helped.

Actually, it's not konsole which gives me the proper environment, but rather
the different way that konsole start the application. On the konsole,
starting "korganizer" will search the PATH for the binary named korganizer
and execute the /usr/opt/kdepim_HEAD/bin/korganizer.
However, Alt+F2 korganizer, or "kdeinit korganizer" (even on the konsole!)
seems to search for the desktop file, and wrongly use the one from /usr.

I also tried setting XDG_DATA_DIRS to incluse /usr/opt/kdepim_HEAD/share
before /usr/share, but that didn't help either.

So, it's kdeinit using the wrong pathes, but I thought it would only use
KDEDIRS to find the .desktop files. And since kdeinit is first started only
after the .kde/env/*.sh scripts are sourced, that's supposed to have the
correct pathes. Maybe someone with more knowledge of the 3.4 startup process
can enlighten me what I'm missing here.

> Failing those two options, try rebuilding ksycoca and repeat the two.
> Ultimately after rebuilding the sycoca and restarting both
> kdeinit/klauncher and kdesktop it just has to work, since the Konsole from
> which this is all done is also correct.

Nope, doesn't work either :-(((((

Cheers,
Reinhold