Using kdepim trunk from a different prefix than the rest of kde (3.4)

Reinhold Kainhofer reinhold at kainhofer.com
Wed Aug 3 16:26:01 BST 2005

David Faure wrote:

> On Tuesday 02 August 2005 02:15, Frank Osterfeld wrote:
>> On Saturday 30 July 2005 22:24, Reinhold Kainhofer wrote:
>> > In ~/.kde/env/variables.sh I have
>> >
>> > kde_dir=/opt/kde_HEAD
>> > export KDEDIRS=$kde_dir:/usr
>> > export PATH=$kde_dir/bin:$PATH
>> > export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$kde_dir/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
>> > export LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
>> >
>> > which works just fine for everything started from the konsole (and
>> > anything that doesn't have a version installed in /usr).
>
> Apart from $KDEHOME which would
> indeed be set too late there (well it would work, but the .kde/env
> directory being read couldn't honour it, obviously), and $PATH which must
> contain *some* kde-config binary, it's perfectly fine to set
> KDEDIRS/PATH/LD_LIBRARY_PATH in ~/.kde/env/foo.sh; everything important
> happens after reading .kde/env/*, doesn't it? One should run startkde step
> by step to find if something is starting kdeinit earlier than expected,
> maybe.

Yes, the LD_LIBRARY_PATH, the PATH etc. work when set in .kde/env/*.sh.
However, it works only if the binary is directly started, but not if it's
started through a .desktop file.

In particular, lsof shows that "Alt+F2 konsolekalendar -all"
starts /opt/kdepim_HEAD/bin/konsolekalendar, but "Alt+F2 korganizer"
starts /usr/bin/korganizer...

So my guess is that somehow the .desktop files from /usr are used? Is there
another environment variable that I have to set to make kdeinit use the
correct apps?

Cheers,
Reinhold

email: reinhold at kainhofer.com, http://reinhold.kainhofer.com/