Using kdepim trunk from a different prefix than the rest of kde (3.4)

David Faure faure at kde.org
Tue Aug 2 19:27:38 BST 2005

On Tuesday 02 August 2005 02:15, Frank Osterfeld wrote:
> On Saturday 30 July 2005 22:24, Reinhold Kainhofer wrote:
> > Hi guys,
> > I have kde 3.4 installed from debian packages (all of kde, including
> > kdepim) into /usr, but I also have kdepim trunk compiled into
> > /opt/kdepim_HEAD.
> >
> > Now, for one account I don't want the 3.4 binaries, but rather the one
> > in /opt/kdepim_HEAD. In ~/.kde/env/variables.sh I have
> >
> > kde_dir=/opt/kde_HEAD
> > export KDEDIRS=$kde_dir:/usr
> > export PATH=$kde_dir/bin:$PATH
> > export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$kde_dir/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> > export LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> >
> > which works just fine for everything started from the konsole (and anything
> > that doesn't have a version installed in /usr).
>
> I just want to state that I have encountered the same problem (on Kubuntu, KDE
> 3.4.2 + kdepim trunk) when using a .kde/env script. It worked fine before on
> Gentoo where I put the same env vars in a custom .xsession.
> So I guess .kde/env is not suited for kdedirs/lib setup as it is processed too
> late in the startup process.

I don't see what makes you say that. Apart from $KDEHOME which would indeed be
set too late there (well it would work, but the .kde/env directory being read couldn't
honour it, obviously), and $PATH which must contain *some* kde-config binary,
it's perfectly fine to set KDEDIRS/PATH/LD_LIBRARY_PATH in ~/.kde/env/foo.sh;
everything important happens after reading .kde/env/*, doesn't it?
One should run startkde step by step to find if something is starting kdeinit
earlier than expected, maybe.