Spell Checking in KDE4 (KSpell2)

Zack Rusin zack at kde.org
Fri Apr 22 21:10:50 BST 2005

On Friday 22 April 2005 15:46, heiko.evermann at gmx.de wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> there is a new version of spell checking hanging around for a while
> without being used: KSpell2. One big improvement would be that the
> spell checking engine would use ispell and aspell libraries instead
> of going through the command line.
>
> However the transition was never made. If I remember correctly, Zacks
> reason was that instead of ispell, he wanted to use myspell? And that
> would bring confusion with the packagers of the distributions.

No, not really. There was a number of reasons why I haven't ported the
rest of the apps in KDE to KSpell2. In no particular order it was:
- lack of time,
- general apathy of people towards spellchecking,
- lack of decision on my part as to whether I'd want to be using Enchant
in the future. I talked a little bit to Dom about this but we never
went ahead and coded anything. But basically the requirement on my part
is very simple and is "Enchant can't be linking to Glib when running
from KDE apps". From what I remember it was using only the GModule and
codecs from Glib so I guess we could write small wrapper classes like
ETextCodec and EModule that would be implemented both with Qt/KDE and
Glib/GNOME specific functions and the right implementation would be
a ./configure option.
- people being resistant to switch because there's no documentation that
the Ispell plugin uses Enchant ispell dictionaries and as a result
sending bug reports about ispell plugin not working,
- stupid link dependencies - kdeui is compiled before kspell2, so
classes classes in kdeui can't be using kspell2. And I'm not sure who
was arguing about that but initially at least I wanted to have kspell2
split into kspell2core which are all the non-gui classes and kspell2ui
which were all the ui classes. I wanted the kspell2ui classess just be
a part of kdeui (removing kspell2ui completely) and having kspell2core
compiled before kdeui.

Zack

--
The answer to the Question of Life, the Universe and Everything
is... 42