LDAP server free for use ;)

Mickael Marchand marchand at kde.org
Thu Apr 21 21:19:22 BST 2005

Hi,

since a few days I have set up an LDAP server that you are free to
subscribe to and free to use (as long as my bandwidth can survive it ;)

So, first, the most important, let's be clear :
if you subscribe to this service, the informations you will provide will
be available PUBLICALLY through LDAP (except the passwords ;)

so, let's answer the coming soon questions :
1 - do I know that publishing emails adresses publically is bad ? let me
answer : really, is the email you use for opensource in a safe place ?
(ever tried to google for it ? ;)
2 - is it usefull ? if the directory gets more entries, then yes it can
become much usefull. The idea is to get a 'standard' tool for accessing
people informations.
3 - why do I do that ? because I had time for that, I knew how do it,
and it is also usefull for me to test stuff that I can reuse for my work.
4 - will I reuse these informations for commercial stuff ? clearly : NO
:) (it is much easier to find email adresses on google actually :o)

so basically, if you don't like it or don't want to publish your email,
just don't use it :)

but I know some people likes it (considering that some people on IRC
already subscribed ;) so it's probably not fully useless.

so, let's imagine you want to subscribe, you just need to go to :
https://ssl.freenux.org/kde/
and fill the form there.
I will review it, and validate the account.
For now, subscriptions are allowed for all KDE people including core
developers, all contributors (translators, documentation writers etc)
and external KDE developers (= developping K apps outside of KDE).
I am not against opening to a wider audience in the future...

once subscribed you will receive your login information and explanations
on how to edit your account settings.

the directory already contains Kolab2 and Mozilla LDAP schemas (though
mozilla's one is still under development, rumours are saying that full
support might be in thunderbird 1.1 ...).
kaddressbook support through a LDAP resources looks more powerfull but
not perfect (I can't commit updates apparently :o)

for now, the directory contains a really minimalistic set of
informations (name and email basically), it's up to you to add more
information when you get the account opened if you want it (phone
numbers, company ...) ;)

some people wondered if we could merge informations with
worldwide.kde.org, For now, I have no clue on how and whether it's good
or not to do it ;). I don't even know what's behing this site.
So, this is an open debate.
I am fully opened to any suggestions from their maintainers (we can
create ldap replicas of the server for KDE services/websites etc ...),
so you just need to contact me.

any comments and ideas to improve/extend this service are welcome,

in the hope it will be usefull for some of you,

server access informations (for read-only/anonymous access) :
LDAP server : ssl.freenux.org , port : 389
base dn : ou=people,dc=kde,dc=org

Cheers,
Mik