Thoughts on the systray II.

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Tue Apr 19 12:44:01 BST 2005

On Monday 18 of April 2005 20:48, Fred Schaettgen wrote:
> On Monday, 18. April 2005 17:34, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> ..
>
> > >   What do you suggest for KWallet?  It's important to know that a
> > > wallet is open.  Likewise for the print manager...

> >  Hmm. Both KWallet and the print manager look like a mixture of 1),
> > because there's a mainwindow, and 3), because it's a bit like
> > notification, to me. But the mainwindow and the whole app can go away
> > when being idle, so that's not exactly like 1), and the notification
> > should stay there the whole time if I get it right, so it's not exactly
> > like 3). (Just to make sure: By notification here I think the special
> > area in kicker where all pending notifications would be queued, as I
> > suggested in my first mail.)
>
> I don't understand the exact meaning of "notification". How is the kwallet
> icon a notification? Are you talking about a state indicator (wallet is
> open) or an event notification (wallet was opened)?

 Notification is "something has just happened". Which is also the reason why I
have those few lines above have a problem with representing a state like
that.

> Isn't it possible to
> display each and every state indicator as a window with a corresponding
> taskbar item? KNotify is only about events currently. Do you want knotify
> to display states, too?

 No, probably not.

> Wouldn't it be better to give regular window more
> possibilities to display a compact representation of their current state in
> their taskbar item

 That could be done, yes. Although I think just the demand attention state and
the window icon are enough. What more do you think could be useful?

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SuSE CR, s.r.o.  e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org