Thoughts on the systray II.

Anders Lund anders at alweb.dk
Mon Apr 18 20:56:27 BST 2005

Friday 15 April 2005 18:46 skrev Lubos Lunak:
> this is more or less a followup to
> http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-core-devel&m=110841124008784&w=2 , which died
> out (because of a certain person being a bit busy, I guess :-/ ). I'd like
> to revive and continue with it, and present also some "show me the code".

For me, and i bet for several others running a similar setup, one important
aspect of systray apps are that they are always visible, which the taskbar
isn't. For any app that displays state information that i'm interrested in in
the icon, it's important that it is visible.

Some of those icons are lots of the time just the application icon (kopete,
kwalletmanager, noatun for example) so if they were applets, they would
easily end up looking just like a launch button. An other bad aspect of
applets versus systray app (as things are now) is that a systray app takes up
less space with my setup (32px buttons, 16px systray icons). So for me the
systray is very friendly because it allows me to know for sure that each icon
is not a launch button, and they take up little space.

IMO, a replacement for the systray needs to take these things into
consideration.

-anders
--
www: http://alweb.dk