Thoughts on the systray II.

Olivier Goffart ogoffart at kde.org
Mon Apr 18 22:30:15 BST 2005

Le Lundi 18 Avril 2005 20:48, Fred Schaettgen a écrit :
> On Monday, 18. April 2005 17:34, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> >  Hmm. Both KWallet and the print manager look like a mixture of 1),
> > because there's a mainwindow, and 3), because it's a bit like
> > notification, to me. But the mainwindow and the whole app can go away
> > when being idle, so that's not exactly like 1), and the notification
> > should stay there the whole time if I get it right, so it's not exactly
> > like 3). (Just to make sure: By notification here I think the special
> > area in kicker where all pending notifications would be queued, as I
> > suggested in my first mail.)
>
> I don't understand the exact meaning of "notification". How is the kwallet
> icon a notification? Are you talking about a state indicator (wallet is
> open) or an event notification (wallet was opened)? Isn't it possible to
> display each and every state indicator as a window with a corresponding
> taskbar item?

> KNotify is only about events currently. Do you want knotify
> to display states, too?

I think it's better to let KNotify play only with events. (And all kind of
popups)

But state like the status of the wallet, the playing state in noatun, or the
online status in kopete should probably go in an applet. (IMO)

Anyway, i think that the current way of having them systray icon is nice,
because it's an uniform and consistant way to display such as status applet
(and easy to program)

> Wouldn't it be better to give regular window more
> possibilities to display a compact representation of their current state in
> their taskbar item and use knotify only for events?

yes

> This way the state indicator and the taskbar item for an application would
> stay at the same place. Also taskbar items display various application
> states already (application is running, currently open file is ...), so
> having a separate state indicator area would make sense only for states
> which don't correspond to anything we can show a window for - and I can't
> imagine what that could be.

Changing the icon of window to display state is not currently done, but could
be easily.

What is missing is to have the ability to set custom context-menu and
tool-tips for the taskbar item.