Thoughts on the systray II.

Fred Schaettgen kde.sch at ttgen.net
Mon Apr 18 19:48:41 BST 2005

On Monday, 18. April 2005 17:34, Lubos Lunak wrote:
..
> >   What do you suggest for KWallet?  It's important to know that a wallet
> > is open.  Likewise for the print manager...
>  Hmm. Both KWallet and the print manager look like a mixture of 1), because
> there's a mainwindow, and 3), because it's a bit like notification, to me.
> But the mainwindow and the whole app can go away when being idle, so that's
> not exactly like 1), and the notification should stay there the whole time
> if I get it right, so it's not exactly like 3). (Just to make sure: By
> notification here I think the special area in kicker where all pending
> notifications would be queued, as I suggested in my first mail.)

I don't understand the exact meaning of "notification". How is the kwallet
icon a notification? Are you talking about a state indicator (wallet is open)
or an event notification (wallet was opened)? Isn't it possible to display
each and every state indicator as a window with a corresponding taskbar item?
KNotify is only about events currently. Do you want knotify to display
states, too? Wouldn't it be better to give regular window more possibilities
to display a compact representation of their current state in their taskbar
item and use knotify only for events?
This way the state indicator and the taskbar item for an application would
stay at the same place. Also taskbar items display various application states
already (application is running, currently open file is ...), so having a
separate state indicator area would make sense only for states which don't
correspond to anything we can show a window for - and I can't imagine what
that could be.

Fred

--
Fred Schaettgen