KDE4/Qt4 minimum gcc version 3.2

Leo Savernik l.savernik at aon.at
Mon Apr 18 19:13:46 BST 2005

Am Montag, 18. April 2005 18:21 schrieb Martijn Klingens:
> On Monday 18 April 2005 17:56, Leo Savernik wrote:
> > You know that the platform-specific code in Qt is < 5%?
> >
> > Additionally, the platform-specific code will mostly interfere with
> > C-level api, so there's even less cause for breakage.
[...]
> But what exactly is your point? [...]

Keeping people from getting the impression due to other comments that Qt
suddenly falls asunder when using gcc 2.95. This won't happen as long as TT
supports msvc 6. It *will* happen as soon as they drop msvc 6 support.

[...]
> However, we should not state OFFICIAL support for 2.95. I can think of
> plenty of reasons, and many others have also mentioned tons of them, but
> you should admit that not having an officially supported underlying
> dependency (Qt) makes it pretty much impossible to give "official" support.
[...]

This is *the* reason to not being able to continue support of gcc 2.95. Given
that KDE4 will take at least 1 1/2 years, it'll give me plenty of time to
perform a smooth compiler transition.

I'll miss gcc 2.95's speed. Btw, do precompiled headers finally work reliably
for KDE?

mfg
	Leo