KDE4/Qt4 minimum gcc version 3.2

Martijn Klingens klingens at kde.org
Mon Apr 18 17:21:28 BST 2005

On Monday 18 April 2005 17:56, Leo Savernik wrote:
> You know that the platform-specific code in Qt is < 5%?
>
> Additionally, the platform-specific code will mostly interfere with C-level
> api, so there's even less cause for breakage.

Yet, all code has to go through Trolltech's QA department for all supported
compilers, so every single additional version adds to the workload. Clearly
TT decided that the amount of work is not worth the upkeep cost anymore.

But what exactly is your point? That we should continue supporting GCC 2.95
for KDE 4? That Trolltech should continue supporting GCC 2.95? That You just
had the urge to speak up for no particular reason whatsoever? Something else
even?

Assuming you want TT to support 2.95: this is the wrong list for that :)

Assuming you want KDE to keep supporting for 2.95: I don't think it's a wise
idea. As long as it builds, great, and with you and the KDE FreeBSD team
we'll have it working as long as possible. Maybe it will require additional
patches that are not in CVS, similar to the Sun Forte and other ports of KDE,
but perhaps that's not even needed.

However, we should not state OFFICIAL support for 2.95. I can think of plenty
of reasons, and many others have also mentioned tons of them, but you should
admit that not having an officially supported underlying dependency (Qt)
makes it pretty much impossible to give "official" support. KDE 4 will live
much longer than that we have to support 2.95 for older Debian and BSD
versions, who will eventually switch their support for older releases to
maintenance only and no version upgrades, if they haven't done so already.

--
Martijn