KUnitTest progress

Jeroen Wijnhout Jeroen.Wijnhout at kdemail.net
Thu Apr 14 10:11:07 BST 2005

On Thursday 14 April 2005 10:32 am, you wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 23:31 pm, you wrote:
> > I've made some progress with the KUnitTest framework. It is now possible
> > to store unittests in dynamically loadable modules. A runner app (with or
> > without gui) is provided to load and run the modules. If the tests are
> > built into modules which are stored in kdelibs/unittests, then running
> > them is as simple as:
> > $kunittestmod.sh --folder kdelibs/unittests
>
> I haven't had a chance to look at it in detail yet (see later), but I am
> concerned that you are adding complexity, and that is raising the barrier
> to entry. Zack's original blog talked about the value of 1 test. QCA has
> several thousand, but the complexity is still low.

I'm adding flexibility, not complexity. You can still use the framework as
Zack designed it. The only difference is that you use a macro to add the
test, instead of adding it to kunittest.cpp.

The module loader was implemented on request, you don't need to use it. It is
especially useful if you want to use the framework for the whole of KDE.
Having one gui or konsole app to run all tests is quite convenient.

There are two examples:
example/simple  : old-style, as simple as possible
example/module : designed for testing of many libraries

> That isn't to say that you aren't adding some useful things, but please
> make sure that KUnitTest doesn't get in the way of throwing together a few
> simple tests. As an example, I added the capability to do XFAIL, and
> unexpected passes, but I've never used them. In hindsight, it is needless
> complexity.

I don't think I've added complexity for the end-user, however if you have
ideas on how to make it even easier to use, please tell. Unless you are
saying that choice _is_ complexity, which is true perhaps.

> I will take a look, but your tarball won't compile (well, it can't make -f
> Makefile.cvs, and there is no configure or autogen.sh script). Also, the
> tarball should unpack into something with a revision.
> [bradh at prionotes kunittest]$ make -f Makefile.cvs
> This Makefile is only for the CVS repository
> This will be deleted before making the distribution
>
> *** YOU'RE USING UNSERMAKE.
> *** GOOD LUCK!! :)

I didn't test with unsermake and I'm not surprised it doesn't work. This
tarball will contain a configure script (which I didn't include before,
because it bloated the tarball):
http://kile.sourceforge.net/kunittest/kunittest-0.3.1.tar.bz2

best,
Jeroen
--
Kile - an Integrated LaTeX Environment for KDE
http://kile.sourceforge.net